Here at Social City Networking INC., we strongly believe in COMMUNITY, being SOCIAL in your CITY, and the importance of being ENGAGED with the positive people, organizations and projects around you.
We wanted to share with you why community is important, and a couple of different ways you can become more engaged with our community. We did some research, and this some of what we found:
“The idea of community may simply come down to supporting and interacting positively with other individuals who share a vested interest. Whether your vested interest is in the well-being of your neighborhood or extends to the well-being of your global community, you may consider:
• Participating in random acts of kindness.
For more information, visit: http://www.actsofkindness.org
[Another project we at SC believe in and is partners with is The GIVEproject, check them out: http://www.passthegive.com]
• Acknowledging a passerby in your neighborhood or at work.
• Attending community events.
[Check out our updates for some good ones – we like to support really amazing causes, fundraisers, projects and people in our community who are all about being SOCIAL in ourCITY!]
[Want some projects that are always looking for some amazing volunteers? Check these ones out: Get Warm Project, Team Awesome, Union Gospel Mission, Beauty Night Society, Imagine1Day, Dalit Freedom Network. They’re all tagged in this note, so check them out on Facebook – We like them too!]
• Meeting your neighbors.
• Buying from local merchants.
[A excellent opportunity to do such is by checking out Vancouvers Farmers Markets! They’re tagged on this note too, we like them as well!]
• Making an extra effort to talk with someone who may have a different background or perspective than your own.
• Supporting schools, which tend to be cornerstones in a thriving community.
• Organizing or attending a neighborhood or community party.
• Spending less time on the internet or watching television and more time outside.
[While we strongly believe in the power of Social Media, we only encourage using is at aTOOL to support being SOCIAL in our CITY, not as a lifestyle!]
• Joining a club or other social organization.
• Personally greeting newcomers to your community.
A strong community benefits the individual, the community as well as the greater society. People of all ages who feel a sense of belonging tend to lead happier and healthier lives, and strong communities create a more stable and supportive society.”
(Source: APS Healthcare “The Importance of Community” http://www.apshelplink.com)
We agree, APS Healthcare. We agree.
SOCIAL CITY NETWORKING INC. – For all things SOCIAL, in your CITY.
Over & out.